Enviar a un amigo
Mapa del sitio
Lengua de señas
Desierto de La Tatacoa. Fotografía Jair Ramírez, proyecto GeoRED
Functions and duties of Servicio Geológico Colombiano According to Decree 4131 of 2011 Article 3. PURPOSE. "... Servicio Geológico Colombiano carries out basic and applied scientific research on the potential of subsoil resources; follow-up and monitoring of geohazards; administration of subsoil information; guarantees the safe management of nuclear materials and radioactive substances in the country; coordinates nuclear research projects, with the limitations of article 81 of the Political Constitution, and is in charge of the management and use of the National Nuclear
Article 4. Functions. For the fulfillment of its purpose, Servicio Geológico Colombiano will fulfill the following functions:
1. Provide advisory to the National Government for the formulation of policies on geosciences, threats and geohazards, use of nuclear applications and guarantee the safe management of nuclear and radioactive materials in the country.
2. Carry out basic and applied scientific research on the potential of subsoil resources and manage data and information on the subsoil of the national territory.
3. Generate and integrate knowledge and collect, compile, validate, store and supply, in an automated and standardized way, information on geology, subsoil resources and geohazards; in accordance with the policies of the National Government.
4. Update the geological map of Colombia according to the advance of the national cartography.
5. Integrate and analyze the geoscientific information of the subsoil, in order to investigate the evaluation, composition and processes that determine the current morphology, structure and dynamics of the Colombian subsoil.
6. Manage the Litoteca, Cintoteca, Map Repository Mapoteca, Geological Museum and other documentary funds of the Servicio Geológico Colombiano.
7. Carry out programs for the recognition, prospecting and exploration of the national territory, in accordance with the policies defined by the Ministry of Mines or the National Government.
8. Carry out the identification, inventory and characterization of the areas with the greatest potential for subsoil natural resources, such as minerals, hydrocarbons, groundwater and geothermal resources, among others.
9. Identify, evaluate and establish protection zones that, due to the presence of geological or paleontological heritage, can be considered as protected areas.
10. Investigate geological phenomena that generate threats and evaluate geohazards with regional and national effects in the territory of the nation.
11. Suggest, evaluate and publish methodologies for assessing threats with departmental and municipal impacts.
12. Manage and maintain the nuclear and radioactive facilities under its management charge as well as coordinate nuclear research projects.
13. Set the rates for all licensing and control services for the management of nuclear and radioactive materials in the country.
14. Provide services related to geoscientific knowledge and the use of nuclear applications in accordance with the policies defined by the Board of Directors.
15. Provide the Mining and Energy Planning Unit with the information required for the preparation of studies and planning research on subsoil resources.
16. Any other duty assigned or received by delegation from the Ministry of Mines and Energy.
Other rules that determine the functions of Servicio Geológico Colombiano. Decree 2703 of 2013 by which the internal structure of Servicio Geológico Colombiano (SGC) is established and the functions of its dependencies are determined.